Hot Stone Massage
During a hot stone massage, smooth, flat, heated stones are placed on specific parts of your body. The stones are usually made of basalt, a type of volcanic rock that retains heat. Hot Stone Massage is deeply detoxifying and profoundly relaxing. By combining massage with hot stones, the circulatory system is both stimulated and relaxed. This circulatory activity promotes the release of toxins from the muscles, assisting the body in self-healing.
The hot stones also expand blood vessels, which encourages blood flow throughout the body. The hot stones have a sedative effect that can relieve chronic pain, reduce stress and promote deep relaxation. The stones may be placed along your spine, on your stomach, chest, face, palms and/or feet and toes. In addition, tense muscles are also softened and eased by the deeply penetrating heat of the stones. Pain and muscle spasms are banished and a feeling of peacefulness and spiritual well-being takes hold. The combined effect prompts a state of enhanced relaxation that washes away stress and sets the stage for re-energizing and rejuvenating the body, mind and spirit. Used along with other massage techniques, hot stones can be quite soothing and relaxing as they transmit heat deep into the body.
Benefits of Hot Stone Massage include:
1. Ease Muscle Tensions and Pain: While any other massage therapy relieves muscle strain and discomfort, the heat from the stone penetrates deeper into the tissue allowing the therapist to provide greater relief from tense muscles, stiff joints or injuries. The heat from the stone can also provide further relaxation throughout the massage session. While hot stones may reduce muscle spasm, cold stones help relieves inflammation. Alternating between the two may be advisable in some cases.
2. Promotes Mental Stability and Sleep: The enhanced circulation, muscle relaxation, and sedative effect of the hot stones considerably improve sleep quality. When you relieve muscle problems, you are also relieving mental strains that are a result of physical pains, which promotes total relaxation of the mind as well as ease symptoms of anxiety and depression. With the physical and mental worries of the clients alleviated, they are sure to get quality sleep and wake up feeling relaxed and renewed.
3. Reduces stress: Too much stress leads to health problems. A hot stone massage creates an enhanced feeling of deep relaxation for your mind and does wonders in releasing muscular tension. It can reduce your heart rate and blood pressure and increase the production of endorphins, making it an effective way to manage stress.
4. Immunity boost: In this relaxed physical and mental state, your body can become re-energized. This can result in better body functions and boost your immune system. A study shows that a single hot stone Swedish massage therapy had a positive impact on immunity. It also showed that massage, especially Swedish massage, improved cancer symptoms, even in those suffering considerably.
5. Improves blood circulation: Poor circulation can lead to weaker immune system and increased physical and mental tiredness. The heated stone penetrates deep into the tissues to expand blood vessel and improve blood flow. Increased circulation delivers more oxygen to the muscles, which can help ease aches and pains, and fight off fluid and lactic acid builds up in the muscles that can lead to fatigue.